Thursday, October 24, 2019

The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog - It Looks Real! Guest Designer

Hi everyone! I am thrilled to let you all know that I am the Guest Designer today at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog! !! I am so honoured!!! Today we have a challenge "It Looks Real" and I thought I would share with you all my technique for making paper look like faux leather! Easy Peasy!

Step 1: For a faux leather look you need to get some parchment paper of some sort. I used Tim Holtz Glassine paper that I have had forever. You can use parchment paper or wax paper, but I would suggust that you cover the entire surface with gesso first so that the acrylic paint can stick to it.
I am also using DecoArt Fluid Acrylic in Burnt Sienna, Golden fluid acrylics in Quinacridone/Nickel Azo Gold and Raw Umber. 




Step 2: Scrunch up your paper into a ball to give it a crackle kind of look. It is best to do these 3 or 4 times to produce finer lines. Totally up to you! 


Step 3: Once you have it scrunched up, start layering the acrylic paint down over it, blending the colors to give you the desired effect. I started with the Burnt Sienna, then added the Quinacridone/Nickle Gold in patches here and there, and finally added the Raw Umber in places here and there. Blend colors as you go. You want little bits of all the colors showing.




Step 4 – Now comes the fun part … adding the embellishments you want onto your card! This is always the most stressful for me, as I never know what I am going to use until I get started! I used white gesso on the chipboard pieces.



Step 5: Once everything was glued into place, I added some different waxes I had and played until I was happy with the result! I also added touches of the acrylic paints to some of the flowers so that they matched my leather. Do what makes you happy!


Step 6: I inked the edge of the card with Black Soot paint and a couple splatters, added a sentiment, and voila... done!



Here's a close-up ...

Thanks again to the DT at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge Blog for having me as a guest designer today! It was a blast!!!

HAPPY CREATING!!

((Hugs))

Helen





5 comments:

  1. Wow, just WOW, Helen! At first glance this looks like real leather and your embellishments look like rusty metal! This is a fabulous piece of artwork! I'm so happy you shared a little more about yourself and this incredible tutorial over at The Funkie Junkie Boutique blog; thank you very much for being our Guest Designer! Hugs! Sara Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sara Emily! I am honoured to be a guest there!!! ((HUGS))

      Delete
  2. Simply amazing! Love every last bits and piece and detail about your awesome work!

    ReplyDelete